I'm not a huge fan of zucchini but when you pair it with cheese and pastry, my interest increases dramatically. I made a bit of a pared-down rustic version of a Smitten Kitchen recipe. I used my own pie crust which I make as per the recipe on the box of lard or Crisco that I happen to have on hand.
This can be served hot, warm, cold, or at room temperature. That pretty much covers all eventualities.Ingredients:
- one smallish zucchini, sliced as thinly as you can make it
- a tablespoon of olive oil with a clove of minced garlic mixed in
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozarella
- salt and papper to taste
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon of water
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced basil leaves to finish. I didn't have any.
Methods:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. (Smitten Kitchen says 400 degrees, but whatever works).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Or better yet, do what I did and roll the dough into a round on the parchment paper prior to putting it on the baking sheet. Whatever way you want to do it, you need a 12 inch round of pastry on a baking sheet, with or without parchment paper.
Mix the cheese together along with 1 teaspoon of the garlic oil, and some salt and pepper to taste. Spread the cheese mixture over the pastry leaving a 2-inch border. Place the sliced zucchini in a decorative concentric circular pattern on top of the cheese and brush with some of the garlic oil. Then fold the border of pastry over the edges of the zucchini cheese mixture. Brush the crust with the egg yolk glaze. Bake until golden brown, thirty to forty to fifty minutes. It depends on your oven.

No comments:
Post a Comment