This is my sister Sylvia's recipe for oat cakes. I happen to love the texture and taste of anything oaty.
Ingredients:
- 2-plus cups of old-fashioned oats or regular oatmeal (Syl thinks she might have used 3)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I used a cup of oat flour instead)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup boiling water
Methods:
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Mix the dry ingredients together then add the shortening. Pulse the mixture using a few pulses in a food processor. Alternatively, you can cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter. Then add the boiling water and mix until a dough comes together. Let the dough rest for a few minutes. Form into a flat rectangle on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and mark squares, or form into balls and flatten. Try 6 per baking sheet. They spread.
Bake for about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
My sister said this recipe made 16 large round biscuits.
You can see from the photo above that I baked mine in a cookie sheet (8 x 12 inch). They were too thick so I needed to bake them longer and they were too tender so tended to fall apart. Just ignore me and follow my sister's recipe.

No comments:
Post a Comment